In “The Adventure of the Silver Blaze”, Sherlock Holmes was investigating a murder with police. Inspector asked
“Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?”
“To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time”
“The dog did nothing in the night-time”
“That was the curious incident,” remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Similarly, when I saw Aamir Khan cry on the show, there are only 2 scenarios possible
- He certainly has not done extensive research OR
- He is “acting” in front of cameras
But a part of mine would say, “Gagan, being a SRK fan, you are just being biased. If, with some glamour and emotional quotient, people start paying attention to some social causes, its good.”
There, I did it again… My chain of thoughts started with Satyameva Jayate and I ended up discussing Aamir Khan. Man, it happens everytime…
To me, Satyameva Jayate is a fantasic show:
- It expresses the concern through an individual rather than group which is more effective as per research
- It highlights the evils are happening “among us” and not somewhere.
- It brings the experiences of experienced people who have handled the issue effectively.
- It spreads the name of a certain NGO, through which we can be more aware and provide assistance.
- Make us aware of the pending cases that should have been brought to justice long ago and strengthens the voice through public support to some extent. (Media has proved to be a powerful tool in many such cases)
When I watch the show, I feel bad, ashamed and believe it should not happen but as soon as it is over, all the horrors are forgotten and, if a discussion crops up about Satyameva Jayate, its completely about Aamir Khan rather than issues. The Best Khan…
Somewhere down the line, I always return to square one.
Satyameva Jayate is a new show… and its concept has proven to be successful in terms of TRP. Other producers are going to capitalize on this idea too, and there would be a flood of such type of shows. So, let’s realize we have a good thing here and ask
Do I really feel their pain and want to change which I look forward to?
Just simply keep gasping at the horrors everytime they are shown, be a victim of exploitation by producer and wake up next with no memory of what we witnessed a few hours before?
Lets hope next time we debate on how to eradicate the problems rather than criticizing/doting the host…